Juniper Networks Introduces Firefly Security Suite to Address the Security Challenges for Public and Private Clouds
New Suite Offers Enterprises and Service Providers Multi-Layered Virtualized Security Solutions That Provide Scale and Agility for Cloud Data Centers
January 16, 2014
SUNNYVALE, CA--(Marketwired - Jan 16, 2014) - Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), the industry leader in network innovation, today unveiled Firefly Suite, a virtualized security portfolio that provides granular, dynamic and secure connectivity for the private and public cloud. The suite introduces Firefly Perimeter, a virtual version of the Juniper Networks® SRX Series Services Gateway, as well as Junos® Space Virtual Director, an application that automates the management and deployment of Firefly Perimeter. When combined with enhancements to Firefly Host, which provides hypervisor-based protection between virtual machines, the suite secures traffic within a virtualized data center as well as traffic to and from it.
IT and security professionals are continually looking to deliver the benefits of virtualization and cloud technologies without undermining security. This requires finding ways to provide robust and granular protection for virtual machines (VM) that can meet the specific security requirements of different workloads, while also being deployed as quickly as a VM instance can be created. The Firefly Suite proactively protects virtual workloads and applications in real-time with security intelligence, automation and unified control over virtual firewalls, enabling organizations to securely leverage these new cloud computing technologies.
Juniper Networks Firefly Suite can be easily embedded throughout the virtual environment including the hypervisor itself or as VMs connected to the various virtual networks, to provide tailored security, automation and control. This approach accelerates service rollout and increases application agility with granular protection that is highly scalable. Administrators will benefit from the rich automation capabilities supporting error-free deployment and unified management making it easy to create, attach and change security policies consistently across the network.
The Firefly Virtual Security Suite includes three major components:
- Juniper is introducing Firefly Perimeter, a new virtual and software-based version of the Juniper Networks SRX Series Services Gateway.
- Firefly Perimeter delivers high availability, granular security with segmentation capabilities between zones, organizations, lines of business and applications, as well as rich connectivity features like Network Address Translation (NAT), routing and VPN. Firefly Perimeter can be easily deployed and managed centrally or individually as a security VM for each department, application or tenant.
- Juniper Networks Contrail seamlessly integrates with Juniper's flagship virtual firewall, Firefly Perimeter, to dynamically provision service-chained virtual and physical security services in cloud environments, which is the first of many Juniper SDN-enabled NFV security services that provides unparalleled performance, scale and coverage across virtualized data centers for enterprises and service providers.
Junos Space Virtual Director
- Also new with this release is Virtual Director, a new Junos Space application delivering full lifecycle management of Firefly Perimeter VMs.
- Junos Space Virtual Director is a lifecycle management application that enables organizations to automate provisioning and resource allocation of virtual machines associated with Firefly Perimeter VMs.
- This includes intuitive and easy-to-navigate and user interface with task-oriented workflows, pre-tested configuration, open APIs for integration with third-party management platforms.
- Firefly Host, formerly named vGW Virtual Gateway, is a purpose-built firewall for virtualization designed to protect intra-VM traffic.
- Firefly Host provides hypervisor-based stateful firewall for East-West traffic between virtual machines, including integrated intrusion detection (IDS), virtualization-specific antivirus (AV) protection and compliance tools, with management scale.
- Firefly Host is tightly integrated into the VMware hypervisor and VMware management framework.
- Synchronization of security policies across Firefly Host management centers provides automated policy management and granular control of VMs for multi-tenant environments with unparalleled performance in the industry.
Firefly Security Suite is a collection of software products designed and licensed to meet the unique needs of protecting cloud deployments, designed for scale and flexibility. Customers are assured the rights to future innovation on these products with the purchase of software maintenance. These licenses scale with the customers' needs without any disruption, and are offered both as perpetual and subscription licenses, providing the spend flexibility to customers, to meet their business goals. Juniper Firefly Host is available today. Firefly Perimeter and Junos Space Virtual Director will be released in Q1 2014.
"With Juniper's Firefly Security Suite, we can rapidly onboard new tenants by provisioning virtual firewalls instead of the typical 30-60 days onboard cycle for dedicated physical hardware. We can now move from the design limitations of a monolithic architecture to diversified firewall implementation despite the shared public cloud environment. We are able to offer rapid disaster recovery, personalized log information and more importantly a portal to our customers for self-service management."
- Brian Gubish, Product Development Architect, Expedient
"As virtualization continues to transform our business operations, we were looking for security solutions that will deliver greater levels of control and granular security policy over application and data. Juniper's Firefly suite enhances the flexibility and agility of our virtual environment by providing a comprehensive security solution that is built into the fabric, ensuring that application agility and performance is optimized."
- Dr. Shin Miyakawa, Director, Innovative Architecture Center, NTT Communications Corporation
"Our customers rely on us to manage and secure their private, public and hybrid clouds. With Juniper's Firefly Suite, we are able to offer multitenant secure connectivity, segregate customer data with virtual firewall and set custom policies by customer, department or application. With Firefly Perimeter we are able to bring premier solutions to the market while improving productivity and enter new markets. The Firefly suite offers robust benefits to our customers, allowing for improved economics and expedited service rollout to customers and peace of mind for IT."
- Mark Precious, CTO, Virtual Armor
"IT leaders have been seeking innovative solutions to secure both the infrastructure and data that can keep up with the rigorous demands of their business and leverage the cloud in a smart and evolutionary way. Juniper's Firefly Suite allows companies to attach, create and manage security policy across physical and virtual firewalls with a high level of flexibility supporting error-free, fast scale out deployment for the most demanding environments. We provide complete protection for the cloud and from the cloud."
- Michael Callahan, vice president global product marketing, Security Business Unit, Juniper Networks
- Junos Space Virtual Director
- Firefly Perimeter
- Firefly Host
- About MetaFabric
- Link to Data Center Rap Battle
About Juniper Networks in Security
Juniper Networks builds secure and trusted networks with end-to-end security across every environment -- from the data center to campus and branch environments and to the device itself. Our security solutions give enterprise and service provider customers a competitive advantage as they set out to build the best networks on the planet.
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR) delivers innovation across routing, switching and security. From the network core down to consumer devices, Juniper Networks' innovations in software, silicon and systems transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks(www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter and Facebook.
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logo are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.
Statements in this press release concerning Juniper Networks' prospects, future products and prospective benefits to customers are forward-looking statements that involve a number of uncertainties and risks. Actual results or events could differ materially from those anticipated in those forward-looking statements as a result of certain factors, including delays in scheduled product availability, the company's failure to accurately predict emerging technological trends, and other factors listed in Juniper Networks' most recent report on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. All statements made in this press release are made only as of the date of this press release. Juniper Networks undertakes no obligation to update the information in this release in the event facts or circumstances subsequently change after the date of this press release. Any future product, feature, enhancement or related specification that may be referenced in this press release are for information purposes only, are subject to change at any time without notice and are not commitments to deliver any future product, feature, enhancement or related specification. The information contained in this press release is intended to outline Juniper Networks' general product direction and should not be relied on in making a purchasing decision.